Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Confessions of an Abortion Doctor: My Wife's Story

This book was published in 1939--before birth control. It is the first-person account doctor, who, as a young and middle-aged man, provided abortions to women.

Our story continues...

My Wife's Story

I talked it over with Norma after the trial closed, with the woman receiving a light sentence. Her counsel had pleaded emotional insanity.

"Maybe it would be better for me to stick to straight practice now," I argued. "After all, a lot of young doctor's do this stuff just to get started. I've paid my debt to my father and we've got a little money ahead."

"I don't know," she said slowly. "Remember how we met?"

Of course, I did. She had come in with a friend who wanted an abortion.

"You seemed to us an angel in disguise. Pearl had expected some rather nasty man who'd treat her as if she were a prostitute. You were so gentle and considerate that you made the whole thing a lot easier."

"So," I grinned, "that's why you fell in love with me."

She took it seriously. "Partly," she admitted. "I could see that it wasn't entirely for money that you were breaking the law. You actually wanted to help people in trouble. And you did it with gentleness and consideration and courtesy -- all admirable qualities in a husband. It looked to me as if you had tolerance and a breadth of vision."


[more online....]

Read it at Bank Of Wisdom online library.

Tags:

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts